I love this cornbread because you can make it with delicious, indulgent ingredients or turn it into a vegan-friendly side with a few simple swaps.
Swap option: For vegan alternative, use dairy-free butter instead of bacon fat and add 1 teaspoon lemon juice or distilled vinegar to a non-dairy milk instead of the buttermilk.
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat or unsalted dairy-free butter
- 2 cups yellow fine cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese or dairy-free cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 450 F. Grease a 10-inch cast iron skillet or 9x9-inch baking dish with bacon fat or dairy-free butter.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add buttermilk, egg, honey and oil. Whisk until fully mixed; stir in cheese. Stir and let sit for 15 minutes before adding mixture to dry ingredients.
3. Pour batter into cast iron or baking dish; spread evenly. Bake 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with collard greens, butter and honey, if desired.