Collard greens are a must-have on my holiday table! They're smoky, tangy, savory and so delicious. While the bacon gives them a richer flavor, you can always leave it out for a healthier option.
Swap option: Substitute olive oil for bacon to make this vegan.
- 4 pounds collard greens, washed
- 2 pounds bacon, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 large onion, diced small
- 2½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Remove ribs from collards and tear them into 2-inch pieces.
2. In a large Dutch oven on medium-high heat, cook bacon until fat is rendered. Remove bacon to a towel-lined plate.
3. Add onion and 1 teaspoon salt to bacon fat; sauté for 5-7 minutes, until onions are tender.
4. Toss in collard greens and sauté until wilted. Pour in stock and apple cider vinegar. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
5. Toss until fully coated. Cover pan, reduce heat to low and cook for 40-45 minutes. Stir occasionally. Top with bacon and serve.