This is the OG. The reason I fell in love with cookie dough to begin with. It's the most popular base we have and is perfect for so many mix-ins, toppings and swirls! It brings you back to your childhood!
- 2¼ cups heat-treated all-purpose flour
- 2¼ teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1½ sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pasteurized egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the heat-treated flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the granulated and brown sugars and mix on medium until light and fluffy; about 4 minutes will do the trick. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the bowl. Add the egg whites and vanilla and mix until fully incorporated, about 2 minutes.
3. Add half of the flour mixture and mix on low just until the powdery texture of the flour disappears, about 15 seconds. Immediately add the rest of the flour mixture and mix until combined. Scrape the bowl and mix a final 15 seconds.
4. Remove the bowl from the mixer and use a rubber spatula to fold in the chocolate chips.
5. First, transfer your cookie dough to an airtight container or press a piece of plastic wrap onto the top of the cookie dough. Place in the refrigerator to chill for 24 hours. If you can't stand to wait, place in the freezer for at least 2 hours (this step helps your cookies hold their shape and gives you that nice gooey cookie center, so don't skip it!).
6. Once the dough is chilled, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Use a cookie scoop to portion cold dough onto the baking sheets, leaving about 3 inches between scoops.
7. For soft-baked, gooey cookies, bake for 9-11 minutes, until the edges are lightly golden and the centers are just set. Check halfway through baking to ensure your cookies are cooking evenly. Rotate the baking sheet if needed. For crispier cookies, keep them in the oven for an additional 2-3 minutes, until the edges are golden brown.
8. Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes. Enjoy warm or transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.