These nutty and fruity bars are the perfect after-dinner treat because they're light, sweet and easy to make.
- 3/4 cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/3 cup jam of your choice
- 1 tablespoon amaretto
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
1. Line an 8-inch-square baking pan with foil, with an overhang on two sides for gripping and removing the bars after baking.
2. In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg, yolk and almond extract and beat until smooth.
3. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and mix on low just until the dough comes together. Flour your fingers and press about two-thirds of the dough into the prepared pan. Put the crust and remaining dough in the refrigerator to chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
5. In a small bowl, stir together the jam and amaretto (you may also use another brandy or distilled spirit of your choice). Spread the fruit mixture over the chilled crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
6. Sprinkle the almonds over the top, then crumble the remaining dough over the almonds.
7. Bake the bars until the jam is bubbly and the topping turns golden brown, about 35 minutes.
8. Cool the bars in the pan on a rack. Use the foil to lift the whole thing from the pan and cut it into 12 squares.