This simple salad is inspired by the tapas bars and asadores (grilling restaurants) in and around Cordoba. It highlights sweet and tender Little Gem lettuce, adorned with warm, garlicky olive oil, sherry vinegar, anchovies and a sprinkle of smoky paprika.
Technique tip: The garlic oil can be made ahead of time; just heat before serving.
Swap Option: Swap in romaine hearts if you can't find Little Gems.
- 4 heads Little Gem lettuce, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 2 oil-packed anchovies, finely chopped
- Flaky sea salt and smoked paprika, for garnish
1. Fill a large bowl with cold water. Holding the lettuce halves by the roots, submerge them in the water and shake gently the release the grit. Shake out the excess water, then pat the leaves dry with paper towels. Divide the lettuce halves among 4 plates.
2. In a small skillet, heat the olive oil and the garlic over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is light brown, about 3 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and spoon the oil over the lettuce. Drizzle with the sherry vinegar. Garnish with the anchovies, sea salt and a sprinkle of smoked paprika. Serve.