One of the best things about spring is having beautiful colors bloom back to life. These cereal treats include all of my favorite colors in one tasty snack. They are also so easy to make and make a great activity for little hands.
Technique tip: In this recipe, I used an egg-shaped cookie cutter to create Easter egg treats, but you can use any shape you like! Bunny and baby chick cookie cutters are highly encouraged.
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 10 yellow Peeps
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal, divided
- 10 purple Peeps
- 10 blue Peeps
- 10 pink Peeps
1. Spray a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a glass bowl, add the yellow Peeps and 1 tablespoon of butter. Microwave for 45 seconds.
3. Remove the bowl from the microwave and add in 1 ½ cups of rice cereal. Stir until cereal is completely coated in melted marshmallow.
4. Place the yellow rice cereal into the loaf pan and press it firmly into the pan, covering the bottom of the pan.
5. Repeat steps 2 through 4 with all other Peeps colors, pressing each layer firmly on top of the previous layer within the loaf pan.
6. Let the treats cool completely for at least 1 hour, or put the pan in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
7. Run a knife along the perimeter of the pan to loosen the treats. Turn the pan over onto a cutting board. Cut the treat loaf into slices, and then into 3 smaller pieces, or cut the loaf into slices and then use an egg-shaped cookie cutter to cut out egg-shaped treats.