- 4 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onions
- 1 cup sliced purple grapes (sliced like coins)
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or orange juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
No cookout is complete without crunchy coleslaw. My version is a cinch to make and allows veggie superstars — hello cabbage and carrots! — to shine. I utilize purple cabbage since it contains powerful antioxidants called anthocyanins, which may enhance memory and help reduce the risk of certain cancers. As an added bonus, I also piled on purple-red grapes and red onion for an extra pop of vibrant color (plus delicious flavor and extra nutrition). This scrumptious side is party-perfect and each hearty serving provides four grams of fiber for only 60 calories. Pass the super-slaw!
Swap option: If you prefer a sweeter, less tangy recipe, use orange juice instead of apple cider vinegar or you add a splash of orange juice at the end.
Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and toss to mix. Season with additional salt and ground black pepper to taste.