- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1½ cups water
- 4 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 bird's eye chili, seeded and minced
- 1 carrot, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 daikon radish, cut into thin matchsticks
- 2 cucumbers, cut in half and sliced into thin half moons
- 1/2 head savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 2 pounds shrimp, peeled, deveined and divided
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 bird's eye chili, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup panko
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 potato slider buns
- Pickled Cabbage Slaw (recipe above)
- 1 handful cilantro leaves, to garnish
The Lowcountry Gullah Islands offer a legacy of Africa and the Caribbean on the doorstep of the American South, and their culinary and social richness can't be captured in any one thing — which is why, instead of trying that, we take inspiration from their cuisine and fly off to Asia.
For the Pickled Cabbage Slaw:1.
Whisk together the vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, water, salt and chili in a large bowl. Whisk until the salt and sugar are completely dissolved; set aside.2.
In a non-reactive container, toss together the carrots, radish, cucumbers, cabbage and cilantro.3.
Pour the brine over the vegetables and cover. Refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 1 week. The slaw will become more pickled as it rests.
For the Shrimp Burgers:1.
Place 1½ pounds of the shrimp into a food processor. Add celery, eggs, chili pepper and soy sauce, and pulse until there is a mix of finely minced and coarsely chopped pieces of shrimp, about five 5-second pulses.2.
Gently fold the panko, lemon zest, parsley and scallions into the shrimp mixture to combine. Chop remaining 1/2-pound shrimp into 1/2-inch pieces and fold into the mixture. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper. Shape mixture into 6 (five ounce) balls.3.
Heat 1½ teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until oil begins to shimmer. Place 3 shrimp balls in pan, flattening with a spatula to 1/2-inch thickness. Reduce heat to medium and cook until the edges turn pink and the burger looks golden, about 3-4 minutes. Turn over and cook 3 minutes, or until done. Repeat with remaining oil and shrimp balls.
Place the burgers on the potato buns, add Pickled Cabbage Slaw and cilantro, and serve.