- 2 quarts water
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 pounds medium sized Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- Garnishes: Sour cream, bacon, cheddar cheese and chives or crème fraîche, smoked salmon and caviar
You'll never go back to basic baked potatoes again after tasting these sensationally delicious, crispy spuds. A simple boil, smash and drizzle of olive oil transform them into an amazingly delicious side dish.
Technique tip: Once you remove the potatoes from the oven, let them rest for least 5 minutes before assembling them on a serving platter.
In a 6-quart stockpot over high heat, bring the water and 2 teaspoons of the salt to a boil. Add the potatoes, and boil them for 20-25 minutes until they are tender and fully cooked through.2.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Remove the potatoes to a colander and drain them. Place them on a heavy baking sheet. Using the bottom of a 9- by 13-inch glass baking dish, or a fork, smash the potatoes down to 3/4 inch height and season them on both sides with the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt, the ground black pepper, and the cracked black pepper. Pour the olive oil over the potatoes and place the baking sheet in the oven for 35-40 minutes until the potatoes are brown and crisp.3.
Remove the potatoes from the oven, assemble them on a serving platter, and garnish them with either of the choices above.