Once you've soaked the salt cod, this Italian baked fish with potatoes, olives, capers and garlic comes together quickly and easily.
- 4 pounds dried salt cod
- 2 quarts whole milk
- 3 quarts water
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound white onions, sliced thin
- 2 pounds peeled Idaho potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 pound canned plum tomatoes
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup pitted black olives
- 1/2 cup capers
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves
1. In a large bowl, combine 2 quarts whole milk and 3 quarts water. Soak cod for at least 24 hours and up to 48 hours before cooking (many delis sell cod pre-soaked).
2. In a large baking dish, add the olive oil, soaked cod, onions, potatoes, tomatoes, dry white wine, black olives, capers, garlic, bay leaves and parsley.
3. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in 350°F oven for 40 minutes. Remove from oven, plate and serve.