Get the latest from TODAY
We customize our cabinets, fridges and ice cream cones (rainbow sprinkles, please!), so why not our cleaning supplies?
Thankfully, it's a DIY enthusiast's world out there and Pinterest fanatics across the country are eager to share their homemade recipes — like this idea for dishwasher tablets.
You may want to try it for the fun (because it really is), or maybe you're considering a change to avoid certain ingredients.
Before diving into a new DIY idea, always check the ingredients for any potential allergies in your family. After that, the sky's the limit! There are many wonderful dishwasher tab recipes to try — including one that involves soaking lemons in vinegar for 14 days — but this is my personal favorite.
I love this recipe in particular since it's easy for a DIY newbie, and because it's fast, simple, fun and makes the whole kitchen smell like lavender!
What you'll need:
- 1/2 cup borax
- 1/2 cup washing soda
- 1/4 cup Epsom salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 8-10 drops lavender oil
- Measuring cup
- Mixing bowl
- Square silicone mold (make sure squares are small enough that the tab can fit into your dishwasher tab reservoir)
What you'll do:
1. Measure borax, washing soda, Epsom salt and lavender oil in a mixing bowl.
2. Mix in just enough water to dampen mixture. About 1/4 cup should do!
3. Pack the mixture into a silicone mold. You can also use an ice cube tray.
4. Allow it to dry for 3-4 hours.
5. Pop tabs out of the mold and store in a pretty, air-tight jar.
We were able to create 18 dish tabs with these measurements.
Talk about the ultimate way to keep tabs on what's going into your dishwasher!