Fiery Buffalo wings are a summertime favorite! Beware: this finger-licking, deep-fried happy hour staple (with 2 tablespoons blue cheese dip) will set you back 1270 calories! Instead, try this creative diet-friendly spin: think spicy chicken and veggie kebabs with all the flavor of the real thing…but only 255 calories (dip included!).
For more delicious recipes like this one, check out Joy’s new cookbook, From Junk Food to Joy Food.
NOTE: Each serving = 2 kebabs plus 2 tablespoons dip for just 255 calories
Avocado Ranch Dip
- 1 cup plain non-fat Greek-style yogurt
- 1/2 cup diced avocado
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon fresh dill, minced
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 4 tablespoons chives, minced
- 2 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
Buffalo "Wing" Kebabs
- 1/3 cup hot sauce, like Frank's Red Hot Original Sauce
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 pound chicken breast tenders, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into large 2-inch chunks
For the avocado ranch dip:
1. Process in a food processor or blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with sliced celery, carrots, and Buffalo "Wing" Kebabs.
For the Buffalo "wing" kebabs:
1. If using wooden skewers, allow them to soak in water for at least 30 minutes.
2. In a small bowl, combine the hot sauce, melted butter, paprika and cayenne pepper, if desired.
3. Coat the chicken and cauliflower chunks with the sauce.
4. Assemble the kebabs alternating between chicken tenders and cauliflower. You will probably get about 3 cubes of chicken on one skewer.
5. Preheat the grill. Carefully place the skewers on the hot grill; cook for about 5 to 6 minutes per side until cauliflower is soft and chicken is cooked through.
6. Oven Directions: Preheat the oven to 450 F. Place the basted skewers on a baking sheet on the center rack of the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, turn over once, bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until chicken is cooked through and cauliflower is fork tender.
7. Serve with the Avocado Ranch Dressing.