This rapini (broccoli rabe) is a bright, refreshing side for dinner at home. It's also quick and easy to prepare, healthy and full of flavor.
Technique tip: Blanch the rapini before cooking it to remove some of its bitterness.
Swap option: You can substitute broccolini for a less bitter option.
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound rapini (broccoli rabe), ends trimmed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch and shock the rapini to remove some of the bitterness.
When ready to serve, heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add a film of olive oil along with the garlic and chili flakes. Sweat for a minute or two until fragrant. Add the rapini and butter and season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook until the rapini is warmed and the garlic is cooked through. Add the lemon juice and zest then serve with Parmesan grated over the top.