This sweet, spicy and saucy chicken only tastes like you spent hours making it. Using rotisserie chicken cuts down on the cooking time while ginger ale, barbecue sauce, brown sugar and mustard bring in loads of flavor.
Technique tip: Set up a DIY sandwich bar with buns, coleslaw, pickles and hot sauce. Or, do a taco bar with soft flour tortillas and any desired toppings. This way, guests can customize their meal and you can spend even less time in the kitchen.
Swap option: This recipe can also be made in the slow cooker using boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup ginger ale
- 2 cups your favorite barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 8 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.
2. Add ginger ale and bring to a low boil.
3. Whisk in BBQ sauce, brown sugar and Dijon.
4. Add chicken and toss to coat. Reduce heat to low, cover, let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Serve on sandwiches or as a saucy filling for tacos.