- 4 slices thick-sliced bacon, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1½ cups cooked red skin potatoes, boiled, skin on
- 3/4 shredded yellow cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons 2% Greek yogurt, plus more for garnish
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup green onion, thinly sliced for garnish
Crispy bacon, melty cheese and chopped scallions give these savory waffles the delicious flavor of a classic loaded baked potato. One bite and you may never go back to eating sweet waffles again!
Preheat oven to 400 F.2.
For super crispy bacon, place raw bacon on a baking rack set in a half sheet pan. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes. Reserve bacon drippings from pan. Once bacon is cooled, give it a rough chop and set aside.3.
Preheat a waffle iron according to the manufacturer's instructions.4.
In a medium skillet, add 1½ tablespoons of the bacon grease and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic to the same skillet with bacon grease and cook until tender and soft, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the onion and garlic and lay on a paper towel to remove as much fat as possible as this will affect the texture of the waffles.5.
In large bowl, mash potatoes with a fork. Add in bacon, onion, garlic, cheddar cheese, flour, Greek yogurt, eggs, salt and black pepper and mix until well blended.6.
Preheat waffle iron. Spray the waffle iron with avocado oil cooking spray, then scoop 1 cup of batter onto the center of waffle iron and close the lid. Cook until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.7.
To serve, garnish with sliced green onion additional bacon, cheese and yogurt.
Here's everything you need to know about the cool new feature.Learn More