This slaw is straightforward and simple so as not to distract or take away from whatever main dish is being served at mealtime. But the subtle tang, sweetness and creaminess of this slaw will surely enhance the flavors of a great batch of fried chicken.
- 2 large carrots, trimmed and shredded
- 1 head green cabbage (about 2 pounds), outer leaves discarded, cored and shredded
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
1. Toss the shredded carrots and cabbage together in a large bowl.
2. Combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
3. Pour most of the dressing over the carrots and cabbage and toss gently to coat the slaw evenly. Add the rest of the dressing and toss again. Refrigerate for an hour or so before serving.