You are most likely accustomed to a tomato and basil combination but this refreshing tomato and mint salad is a new twist on an old classic.
Technique tip: Try to purchase local tomatoes. Tomatoes that are shipped are usually picked green and ripened off the vine, producing fruit that has not properly or fully developed its flavor.
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cored and cut in 1-inch wedges
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, shredded
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Put the tomatoes in a salad bowl with the onion and mint. Toss with the olive oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.