A tiny bit of butter added to these fresh veggies gives this dish a velvety rich finish without adding too much extra fat. It's still a healthy dish, but tastes just a little indulgent.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups 1-inch broccoli florets (about 1 medium broccoli crown)
- 3 cups 1-inch chopped cauliflower florets (about 1/2 medium head)
- Kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1. Heat the butter and 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the broccoli and cauliflower in a single layer, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and let cook, undisturbed, until the undersides are browned in spots, 3-4 minutes. Stir and continue to cook, stirring every 1-2 minutes, until browned all over and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes more.
2. Reduce the heat to medium and push the vegetables to one side of the skillet. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the empty side and add the garlic to the oil; cook while stirring, about 30 seconds.
3. Mix the garlic into the vegetables and add a large splash (about 3 tablespoons) of water to the pan and cook, stirring, until evaporated.
4. Serve while still hot.