This tart is so easy to make and is a total crowd-pleaser with French and Italian flavors. Buying store-bought puff pastry is perfect when you're in a pinch and need to whip up some beautiful hors d'oeuvres for guests.
Tomato, Brie and Basil Tart
- 1/4 pound brie, frozen for 20 minutes, rind removed, then cut into small pieces
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, loosely chopped
- 1 sheet frozen store-bought puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
1. In a bowl, combine the brie, tomatoes, olive oil, garlic and basil.
2. Toss and season with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit for at least one hour (you can make this mixture the night before your party and refrigerate it until ready to bake the tart).
2. Unfold the thawed puff pastry on a piece of parchment paper.
3. Roll the pastry, just a bit to form a longer rectangle. Cut 1/2-inch strip off each side of the pastry and set aside.With a pastry brush, brush the egg mixture over the large piece of pastry. Place the two longest strips of pastry on the longer edges of the large piece of pastry, then place the two shorter strips on the shorter edges of the pastry. If any of the strips hang over, tuck them underneath.
3. Brush the strips lightly with the egg mixture.
4. Top the pastry with the filling and spread evenly. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Remove from oven and cool on a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
5. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into slices.