Dungeness crab and fresh avocado are two of California's quintessential ingredients. This dish utilizes them both beautifully and puts an innovative twist on classic flavors.
Technique tip: Once you set your item on the grill, resist the urge to touch it too frequently. You need to allow char-marks to develop so it doesn't stick.
Swap option: Instead of Dungeness crab, substitute shrimp salad, chicken salad or tuna poke.
- 2 avocados
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces Dungeness crab meat
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested
- 2 teaspoons chopped tarragon
- Micro cilantro, for garnish
1. Preheat grill to high heat.
2. Cut avocados in half, remove pit, brush with oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Place avocados on grill. Once you obtain nice grill marks on avocados, remove from grill and set aside.
4. In a mixing bowl, combine the crab, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, lemon zest and tarragon, and gently mix.
5. Place crab mixture inside the avocado pit indents, garnish with micro cilantro and serve.