- 2 cups dried chickpeas, soaked in cold water for 8 hours and drained
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut in half
- 1 medium Spanish onion, cut in half
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 eggpants, cut lengthwise in half
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bird's-eye chilies, cut in half, seeds and ribs removed
- 1 teaspoon Harissa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
1. Combine the chickpeas, carrot and onion in a medium saucepan, add 4 cups water and bring to a boil.2. Reduce the heat and simmer until the chickpeas are very tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.3. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Toss the garlic and eggplant with 1/4 cup of the olive oil and arrange on a roasting pan, eggplant cut side down. Roast for 40 minutes. 4. Add the chilies to the roasting pan, cut side down and roast for another 10 minutes. Set aside until cool.5. Scoop the flesh from the eggplant and transfer to a blender. Add the roasted garlic and chilies, chickpeas, harissa, cumin, the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and 2 to 3 tablespoons of the reserved cooking liquid. Puree, adding more of the cooking liquid if necessary, until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
Serve with pita bread.