Mornings are a busy time for the TODAY Show anchors. They're usually clocking in while the rest of us are still hitting snooze. Though, Al Roker wouldn't have it any other way — he loves his morning routine.
Al starts his early mornings at 4 a.m., with a workout in his home in New York City or at the gym. At 5 a.m., after he's showered and dressed for work, he whips up a batch of his signature ketogenic diet breakfast: an egg muffin. He packs it in tinfoil with a slice of cheese on top.
Here is how he makes his go-to keto muffins:
- Beat six to eight eggs with a "dollop" of half and half or heavy cream.
- Using a jumbo muffin tin, fill in four to six spots with the egg mix.
- Put in any leftover veggies you have in the fridge. (This week, Al used broccoli.)
- Crumble in bacon.
- Top with grated cheese of your choice.
- Bake at 350 to 400 F until they're puffy and brown (about 30 minutes).
- Place one more chunk of cheese on top and put it back in the oven until it melts. Enjoy!
Al's recipe should make about four muffins.
Follow Al on Instagram to see how he's constantly switching up his muffin recipe with different veggies and cheeses. In the image below, he used pancetta and Gruyère.
Interested in trying the keto diet? Here is a quick explainer on getting started, and here is an account from a woman who tried it for 30 days. When Savannah tried it, she credited the diet with making her brain "a little sharper." Talk to your doctor or a dietitian to figure out if the keto diet could work for you.
This story was originally published in January 2019. For more simple advice to improve your life, sign up for our One Small Thing newsletter.