- 1 pound (about 36) small to medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, shells reserved
- 2 1/3 cup corn kernels (from 4 ears corn), cobs reserved
- 1 cup medium onion, quartered
- 10 cup strips orange zest, each 3 inches long (from
- 1 cup bay leaf
- 10 cup whole black peppercorns
- 6 cup water
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon rice vinegar (not seasoned)
- 1 head bibb lettuce, leaves separated
- 2 head firm, ripe hass avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, sliced lengthwise, and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup fresh mint, leaves torn if large
Bring shrimp shells, corncobs, onion, orange zest, bay leaf, peppercorns, water and wine to a simmer in a large pot.
Cook for 15 minutes.
Strain through a fine sieve; discard solids.
Return liquid to pot, and bring to a boil.
Add shrimp and corn kernels, and cook until shrimp are opaque, 2 to 3 minutes.
Strain, reserving 1 tablespoon cooking liquid.
Refrigerate until chilled, up to 2 hours.2.
Whisk together reserved poaching liquid, oil and vinegar in a large bowl.
Season with salt and pepper.
Juice 1 orange half into bowl.
Add shrimp and corn, and toss to coat.
Refrigerate until chilled, 10 to 15 minutes.3.
Arrange lettuce leaves on each of 4 plates.
Top with a scoop of shrimp-corn mixture.
Top with avocado and mint, and drizzle with juices from bowl.
Juice remaining orange half over tops, and season with salt.
Small shrimp are best for this recipe, but medium or chopped large shrimp can also be used.