I love fusion cuisine! These tuna tacos blend traditional Mexican and Italian flavors into tasty little bites that are perfect for entertaining.
- 8 6-inch soft corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces sushi-grade tuna loin, small-diced or chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped Gaeta olives
- 1 tablespoon diced roasted red peppers
- 1 tablespoon chopped salted capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon small diced preserved lemon or grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon Sicilian extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 small or 2 medium ripe avocados
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup scallions, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the tortillas:1.
Preheat the oven to 375°F.2.
Cut out 2-inch circles from the larger corn tortilla (this should yield 3 per tortilla).3.
Brush the tortilla circles with the olive oil on both sides to make them more pliable.4.
Place them in a mini taco shell mold, season with salt and pepper, and bake until golden brown, approximately 6 minutes. Let the shells cool and cover in an airtight container until ready to use.
For the tuna:
Place tuna, olives, peppers, capers and zest in a bowl, stir together, and season with the oil, salt, and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use.
For the guacamole:
Mash the avocados with the garlic, basil, scallions, salt, pepper and lemon juice. To assemble: Fill the tacos shells with the tuna mixture and top with guacamole.