The natural underlying sweetness of onions is released when you grill them. In this recipe, they add a great caramelized flavor and satisfying bite that makes this potato salad unique.
Technique Tip: The trick to having perfectly cooked potatoes for potato salad is to start the potatoes in COLD salted water, not waiting to add the potatoes once the water is boiling.
Swap Option: Instead of the onions, trade in roasted garlic for a new flavor.
- 3 red onions, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds fingerling or small Yukon gold potatoes
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup mayonnaise, homemade or store-bought
- 1/4 cup fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, finely minced
- 1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Dijon mustard, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Grilled red onion, chopped (recipe above)
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
For the onions:
1. Preheat grill to low heat.
2. Place the onions in a bowl and mix with the olive oil and salt.
3. Individually wrap the onions in aluminum foul and place on the grill for one hour, until soft and fully cooked.
4. Remove and let cool in the foil.
5. Remove from the foil, peel off the onion skin and discard.
6. On a clean cutting board, coarsely chop the onions and set aside.
For the potatoes:
1. Place the potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water and season with salt.
2. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 20-25 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender.
3. Carefully strain the potatoes from the water and let cool at room temperature.
4. Slice potatoes crosswise into 1-inch thick pieces and place in a mixing bowl.
5. Add all the remaining ingredients and gently fold together with a rubber spatula until combined.
6. Adjust the final seasoning with salt and refrigerate until ready to serve.