Chili is the ultimate topping when it comes to game-day food. I put it on everything from hot dogs to burgers to nachos. I take my nachos to the next level by using Tater Tots instead of tortilla chips. It makes this delicious dish even more comforting, perfect for the cold weather and watching the game.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 jar mild salsa
Sharp Cheddar Sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 pinch chipotle powder
- 1 bag tater tots, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 jalapeño, finely diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- Sour cream
For the chipotle chili:
Add oil to a pan set over medium-high heat and add ground beef. Cook, stirring and chopping the meat, until cooked through. Drain the excess liquid from the pan and then add the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, chipotle powder and salsa. Simmer until salsa is reduced, season with salt and pepper to taste.
For the sharp cheddar sauce:
1. Melt butter in saucepan over medium-low heat, whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute.
2. Gradually whisk in milk, add cheese and a pinch of chipotle powder.
3. Keep the sauce warm until ready to use.
1. Arrange half of the cooked tots on a platter and pour the chili mixture over.
2. Layer on the remaining tots and pour on the cheese sauce.
3. Scatter on the black beans, jalapeños, tomato and avocado and dot with spoonfuls of sour cream. Serve hot.