Technique tip: Make sure you submerge the kale in a large bowl of cold water and massage vigorously for about 3 minutes to break down the chewy fibers.
- Half a shallot finely diced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup of diced fried chicken
- 6 ounces kale, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 small carrot, shaved into ribbons with a peeler or on a mandoline
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped, soaked in cold water for 10 minutes and drained well
- 1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 1 firm but ripe avocado, halved, pitted and peeled
- 1/2 lime, optional
1. Submerge the kale in a large bowl of cold water and massage vigorously for about 3 minutes to break down the chewy fibers. Drain, dry well and transfer to a large bowl.
2. Add the carrots, peppers, onions and sunflower seeds to the kale and toss together.
3. Drizzle 1/4 cup of the dressing over the salad and toss to coat, adding more dressing to taste.
4. Divide the salad among 4-6 plates. Cut the avocado into thin wedges and squeeze some lime juice over top, if desired.
5. Arrange the wedges on the salads and add the fried chicken on top and serve immediately.