My whole family loves chicken so using it in this recipe is a no-brainer. I know dark meat can get a bad reputation among proteins because it’s fattier, but it makes for a richer, tastier sauce.
Technique tip: My kids like eating rotini because it gets nice and saucy. Plus, it's a fun shape they enjoy.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 small carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, diced
- 3 large pinches of flake salt
- 1 pound ground dark meat chicken
- 1 pound pasta of choice
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to the time indicated on the package and drain. Set pasta aside.
2. In a large skillet, cook ground chicken with olive oil, garlic and salt until cooked through. Remove from heat.
3. Over medium heat in another skillet, heat the olive oil and add garlic, onion, carrots and salt. Cook until everything is tender, approximately 5 minutes.
4. Add in diced tomatoes and raise the heat to medium-high and cook all ingredients until a smooth sauce develops approximately 10 minutes.
5. Blend the sauce until it reaches the desired consistency.
6. Add the chicken back into the sauce and mix everything thoroughly.
7. Spoon the sauce and chicken over your cooked pasta and enjoy.