This irresistible dip combines the creamy tang of blue cheese with the salty, savory goodness of bacon. You might want to make a double batch; it tends to disappear quickly.
Technique tip: Make sure to remove the bacon grease from the pan while it's still hot.
Swap option: For a milder flavor use goat cheese instead of blue cheese.
- 4 slices bacon
- One 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup blue cheese, softened
- 5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted smoked almonds
- Sliced pears
- Assorted crackers or crostini
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Fit a rimmed baking sheet with a cooling rack.
2. Lay the slices of bacon on the rack and place in the oven. Cook until crisp and done; remove and reserve about 1 teaspoon of the bacon drippings from skillet. Crumble the bacon.
3. In a bowl, beat the cheeses and heavy cream with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Gently stir in the crumbled bacon, reserved bacon drippings, chives, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Spoon into a lightly greased 1- to 1½-quart baking dish.
4. Bake in the preheated oven until the cheeses are melted and the mixture is heated through, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle the top with the smoked almonds, and serve with the sliced pears, crackers and/or crostini.