TODAY's Takeaway: Couple's on-air wedding, Savannah's inspiration
1. As part of this week’s #InspiredBy series, Savannah shared who’s had the biggest impact on her life: her late Uncle Pierce, who had Down syndrome.
“When you love somebody who has a disability,” she explained, “it's instant perspective about how to make life wonderful even when you've been given incredible difficulties.”
2. This morning marked Willie’s one-year anniversary with the TODAY family, and to celebrate the milestone, Natalie wrote a wonderful piece for TODAY.com: “How Willie Geist changed my life in 1 year.”
3. Did you notice today’s date is 11/12/13? Shanel Manzano and Elliot Bryant did. The two self-professed “math geeks” chose the date to get married, and did so at 9:10 a.m. live on air.
Get it? At 9:10 on 11/12/13? Watch the punctual ceremony below:
Couple weds on TODAY at 9:10 on 11-12-13Play Video
'Boyfriend material'?: 5 pickup lines that actually work
Jet from NY to London in 1 hour? Airbus patent could make it a reality
Can Apple and Siri kill voicemail for good?
Robbie Maddison seems to ride waves on a dirt bike in viral video
4. “I feel like a schmuck,’’ Mike Tyson confessed this morning.
The former heavyweight champ told Willie he now regrets how the pursuit of fame made him act outside the ring. “I feel like ‘el schmucko.’ For instance, I didn’t choose being a fighter; it chose me. Somebody told me, ‘Hey this is what you’re gonna do, you’re good at this.’
Also, he met Shirley MacLaine in the Orange Room before his interview – and they became best friends.
Mike Tyson: Therapy has helped my relationshipsPlay Video
Natalie Morales offers glimpse of preparations for Rio Olympics
Cecil the lion hunting guide faces charges in African court
Will Rio be ready for the 2016 Olympics?
See the Lexus hoverboard in action: A 'Back to the Future' reality
5. Hoda joined Savannah in sharing stories of the person (or in this case, people) she’s #InspiredBy.
She met Ken Duane, who convinced to share her cancer experience with others, on a flight. She was introduced to Jill Conley, who has inspired Hoda with her positive attitude in the face of a terminal cancer diagnosis, at a gala supporting breast cancer awareness.
“I decided to pick people who any one of us could have met, but if you turned right instead of turning left, you would have missed them,’’ Hoda said. “After a chance meeting, I truly hit the brakes and said, ‘Today is a game-changer in my life.’”
Hoda shares chance meetings that changed her lifePlay Video
KLG, Hoda play matchmaker for Donna and Guys Tell All panelist
Guys Tell All panel discuss lipstick-wearing women and cranky men
Kybella injections to melt a double chin: See procedure on TODAY
'Playing House' stars: We cast all our best friends and make out
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway! Watch more clips from the broadcast.