TODAY's Takeaway: Couple's on-air wedding, Savannah's inspiration
1. As part of this week’s #InspiredBy series, Savannah shared who’s had the biggest impact on her life: her late Uncle Pierce, who had Down syndrome.
“When you love somebody who has a disability,” she explained, “it's instant perspective about how to make life wonderful even when you've been given incredible difficulties.”
2. This morning marked Willie’s one-year anniversary with the TODAY family, and to celebrate the milestone, Natalie wrote a wonderful piece for TODAY.com: “How Willie Geist changed my life in 1 year.”
3. Did you notice today’s date is 11/12/13? Shanel Manzano and Elliot Bryant did. The two self-professed “math geeks” chose the date to get married, and did so at 9:10 a.m. live on air.
Get it? At 9:10 on 11/12/13? Watch the punctual ceremony below:
Couple weds on TODAY at 9:10 on 11-12-13Play Video
Justin Trudeau challenges Obamas, Prince Harry - while in plank pose!
Sony files patent for contact lenses that take photos
Why we sometimes mix up the names of loved ones
Adorable kitten rescued from manhole
4. “I feel like a schmuck,’’ Mike Tyson confessed this morning.
The former heavyweight champ told Willie he now regrets how the pursuit of fame made him act outside the ring. “I feel like ‘el schmucko.’ For instance, I didn’t choose being a fighter; it chose me. Somebody told me, ‘Hey this is what you’re gonna do, you’re good at this.’
Also, he met Shirley MacLaine in the Orange Room before his interview – and they became best friends.
Mike Tyson: Therapy has helped my relationshipsPlay Video
Blind 5th grader sees mother for first time thanks to electronic glasses
Six decades later, adopted brother reunites with long-lost siblings
Old Navy ad with interracial family spurs controversy online
Watch: Fists fly in Turkish parliament
5. Hoda joined Savannah in sharing stories of the person (or in this case, people) she’s #InspiredBy.
She met Ken Duane, who convinced to share her cancer experience with others, on a flight. She was introduced to Jill Conley, who has inspired Hoda with her positive attitude in the face of a terminal cancer diagnosis, at a gala supporting breast cancer awareness.
“I decided to pick people who any one of us could have met, but if you turned right instead of turning left, you would have missed them,’’ Hoda said. “After a chance meeting, I truly hit the brakes and said, ‘Today is a game-changer in my life.’”
Hoda shares chance meetings that changed her lifePlay Video
John O'Hurley, Scotty McCreery stump the ladies at 'Name That Song'
Give It Away! KLG and Hoda pick 5 lucky winners
Pasta with salami and cheese: Randy Altig makes it northern Italian style
John O'Hurley and the real J. Peterman debut the real urban sombrero!
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway! Watch more clips from the broadcast.