Ring in 2012 by treating you and your guests to some homemade dishes. Here, chef Catherine De Orio shares her delicious recipes for truffled wild mushroom, fontina and taleggio panini, roasted fruit pound cake tiramisu and seasonal fruit sparklers.
- 2 slices tuscan bread
- 1/4 pound mixed mushrooms (cremini, shitake and yellow oyster); trimmed and clean
- 2 ounces fontina cheese
- 1 ounce taleggio cheese
- 1 1/2 cloves of garlic; grated
- 2 slices prosciutto
- 1/2 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus 1/2 tablespoon
- 1/2 tablespoon white truffle oil
- Kosher salt
- Cracked black pepper
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and thyme and sauté for about a minute or so. Add mushrooms and sauté about 8-10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.In a small bowl mix truffle oil and remaining olive oil. Brush one side of each slice of bread with oil. On one slice of bread, layer prosciutto, mushrooms and cheese.Place sandwich on a pre-heated panini press. Grill until bread is golden brown and cheese is beginning to melt, approximately 2-3 minutes. Take sandwich off grill and enjoy.
- 1 Sara Lee all-butter pound cake; cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 3 apples and/or pears (approximately 1 pound); cut in half and then into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons butter; cut into small cubes
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- Almonds or walnuts, toasted or chopped
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place apples and pears in a 9x13 glass baking dish. Add lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt and toss to coat apple and pear slices. Place butter cubes on top. Bake for 25-30 minutes until fruit is soft, stirring fruit halfway through.While fruit is roasting, prepare whipped topping. In a metal mixing bowl combine chilled heavy whipping cream, instant espresso and sugar, stir to dissolve. Add mascarpone cheese and vanilla extract. Using electric mixer or hand beater, beat until soft peaks form.
To assemble: Place two slices of pound cake in a balloon wine glass. Top with roasted fruit. Finish with whipped topping. Sprinkle toasted nuts over top.
- 4 ounces prosecco brut; chilled
- 2 1/2 ounces fresh fruit juice of choice (pomegranate, clementine, tangerine, blood orange, pear puree)
- Garnishes: Pomegranate seeds for pomegranate; clove-studded kumquat for clementine; sugar coated candied tangerine peel and mint leaf for tangerine; half of a candied blood orange wheel and a whole star anise for pear
- White grape juice (for mocktail)
- Sparkling water (for mocktail)
Pour juice into champagne flute. Top with prosecco and garnish.
To make this a mocktail, substitute 3 ounces sparkling white grape juice and 1 1/2 ounces sparkling water for prosecco.
- 5 ounces champagne brut; chilled
- 1 ounce crème de cassis
- Fresh currants
Pour crème de cassis in champagne flute. Top with champagne and garnish with fresh currants.
- 5 ounces champagne brut; chilled
- Edible gold leaf
Pour champagne into flute and garnish with edible gold leaf.
- 4 ounces prosecco brut; chilled*
- 2 1/2 ounces fresh fruit juice of choice (pomegranate, Clementine, tangerine, blood orange, pear puree)
- Garnishes: pomegranate seeds for pomegranate; clove-studded kumquat for Clementine; sugar coated candied tangerine peel and mint leaf for tangerine; half of a candied blood orange wheel and a whole star anise for pear.
Pour juice into champagne flute. Top with prosecco and garnish. *To make this a mocktail, substitute 3 ounces sparkling white grape juice and 1 ½ ounces sparkling water for prosecco.