The fun thing about the beauty industry is that it is always evolving — but that constant innovation means that often times you'll come across a product that leaves you stumped or asking yourself two things: First, “What does it do?!” and then, “Do I need it?!”
Here's a guide to the new products in the beauty aisle for summer that should be on everyone’s radar:
This innovation in color cosmetics allows for wet-finish glosses to take on the properties of a stain, giving them major lasting power. When applied, they feel like lightweight gloss, and then “dry down” to become a stain, while still maintaining the look of a gloss.
- L’Oreal Paris Colour Caresse Wet Shine stain, $10, lorealparis.com
- YSL Gloss stain, $34, saks.com
- It Cosmetics Lipgloss stain, $24, itcosmetics.com
Skin detox programs
The beauty industry has jumped on the craze of detoxing your body, with products designed to work within a certain time frame (much like a traditional detox) to deliver purifying results.
- Sisley Botanical D-Tox treatment (4 weeks), $240, saks.com
- Tarte Double Detox Facial System (5 weeks), $38, sephora.com
- Talika 28 Day Eye Detox (1 month), $45, talika.com
These creams are accompanied by edible elements to target the skin both topically and internally in hopes of more substantial results.
- Sonya Dakar/Paleta Beauty Program, $229, sonyadakarclinic.com
- Skin Authority VitaD Fortified Illuminating Duo, $79, skinauthority.com
- Blisslabs Youth As We Know It, $55, blissworld.com
- Repêchage Hydra Medic nutrional supplements, $30, repechage.com
First it was BB creams, then CC creams, and now — DD creams?! It's like a game of beauty alphabet soup. New DD creams refer to themselves as “Dynamic Do Alls” — providing more coverage than a BB cream and more benefits than a CC cream.
Face, hair & body oil
These hydrating products boast benefits literally from head to toe. You get a conditioning hair product (which can be used for hydration or styling), a daily skin moisturizer and a body glow-getter in one jar. They are also often enjoyed as bath oils to soften skin while soaking.
- Garnier Triple Nutrition Oil for Hair, Skin and Face, $5.99, drugstore.com
- Caudalie Divine oil, $49, sephora.com
- Tatcha Camellia Beauty oil, $125, tatcha.com
- Wen by Chaz Dean Bath, Body & Hair oil, $20, qvc.com
Nope, it isn't for a long flight or a Freddy Kreuger costume, this new category, jump-started by imports from Asia where they have long been a local beauty secret, features sleep masks that pamper skin overnight, without ruining your pillowcase.
- Dr. Jart+ Water Fuse Water-Max Sleeping Mask, $48, sephora.com
- Korres Greek Yoghurt Sleeping Facial, $45, sephora.com
- Fresh Peony Overnight Mask, $55, fresh.com (coming in July)
Check out more tips from beauty and style expert Jenn Falikon her blog.