- 1 (4- to 6-ounce) fillet trout
- olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 baguette
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 3-4 ounces smoked trout or salmon, chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 1 bunch chives, chopped, divided
- goat cheese, cut into small pieces, for garnish
- chopped walnuts, for garnish
This recipe reminds us of fond memories with family eating the fish we caught at our cabin. This rillettes makes for a fuss-free yet very elegant appetizer.
Swap option: You can use salmon or lobster in place of trout.
Preheat oven to 375 F.2.
Put the piece of fish on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush the filet with a few teaspoons of olive oil.3.
Season with salt and pepper, then place in oven at 375 F for 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the size of the piece of fish.4.
Cut the baguette at an angle into thin slices.5.
Put the slices on a baking sheet and season with olive oil, salt and pepper. Put in the oven for 15 minutes.6.
Add the heavy whipping cream to a bowl. Whisk until fluffy, then set aside.7.
Chop up the cooked fish and smoked fish and put them both in a bowl. Mash with a fork.8.
Slowly fold the whipped cream into the fish mixture.9.
Stir the lemon juice, capers and 2/3 of the chives into the mixture.10.
Transfer the rillettes into a small bowl. Top with small pieces of goat cheese, walnuts and the remaining chives, and serve with toasted baguette slices.