Crispy fried chicken on a soft, buttery roll … is there anything better? The flour is spiced perfectly to add a little kick to the chicken, and a sweet, crunchy pickle with creamy mayo bring it all together.
Technique tip: Marinating the chicken in the buttermilk will make the meat juicy and tender.
Swap option: If you prefer white meat, you can certainly use chicken breasts.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 4 slider rolls
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Sliced pickles
For the chicken:
1. In a large plastic bag, combine chicken thighs and buttermilk. Close and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, whisk together flour, spices, salt and pepper.
3. In a heavy pot over medium-high heat, add about 1-inch of peanut oil (if using a thermometer, it should read 350°F, but if you're not, you can test by adding a little flour to see if oil sizzles).
4. Coat the buttermilk-soaked chicken into the flour mixture. Move it around and make sure it is very well coated.
5. Carefully add the chicken to the oil and cook for about 5 minutes per side, until golden brown and crispy. Remove to a wire rack.
Spread mayo on the slider buns and add a couple splashes of hot sauce, if desired. Add chicken and top with pickles.