- 2 pound swiss chard, large stems discarded and leaves cut crosswise into 2-inch strips
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cup garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup canned tomatoes, chopped
Bring a saucepan of water to a boil.
Add the chard and simmer over moderate heat until tender, 8 minutes.
Drain the greens and gently press out excess water.2.
In the saucepan, heat the oil.
Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook over moderate heat until the garlic is golden, 1 minute.
Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil.
Add the beans and simmer over moderately high heat for 3 minutes.
Add the chard and simmer over moderate heat until the flavors meld, 5 minutes.
Season the stew with salt and serve.
Wine to serve with this dish: Earthy, cherry-rich Sangiovese:2007 Canneto Rosso di Montepulciano.
One serving: 274 cal, 16 gm fat, 2.1 gm sat fat, 13 gm carb, 11 gm fiber