Trattoria Altanella — Venice On the Island of Giudecca, Venice, ItalyOver 100 years old Owned and operated by four generations of the Stradella family
To make gnocchi: Scrub the potatoes and place, unpeeled, in a large pot of boiling water (lightly salted).
2. Cook for 45 minutes until tender but not overcooked.
When cool, peel potatoes and mash.
Add flour, eggs, salt and pepper.
3. Roll dough into long thin rods, and cut into small pieces about 1-inch in length to form the dumplings.
4. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil (add a touch of olive oil to prevent gnocchi from sticking together).
Drop gnocchi in and cook for approximately 1 minute until they float to the top.
5. To make Salsa Nera: In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add olive oil and garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
Add parsley, tomato paste, white wine, black squid ink, salt and pepper; cook for 20 minutes then add the calamari and cook for 3 minutes more.
6. To assemble: Place cooked gnocchi on a large serving platter.
Add the salsa nera and gently toss to cover gnocchi with sauce.
Top with pats of butter and serve immediately.