- 4 Idaho potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (6 cups)
- 3 carrots peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Place potatoes, carrots, and garlic in a medium saucepan. Cover with water. Add a large pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, and cook until completely tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain vegetables, reserving 3/4 cup cooking liquid. Return all but 1/4 cup liquid to pot. Add milk and butter, and season with salt and pepper. Mash until smooth, adding remaining liquid to desired consistency.