After all that Thanksgiving food, you're going to need greens. Try this yummy salad topped with crispy turkey from Upland chef Just Smillie.
- 2 leftover turkey legs, meat pulled off the bone into large pieces
- 1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 cup agrodulce vinegar (can use white wine vinegar or sherry vinegar)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons green peppercorn Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1/4 cup chopped anchovies
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to season salad
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large bunches of Tuscan kale (about 1 1/2 pounds total), center stem discarded, leaves thinly sliced
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed, finely grated or shredded with a knife
- 1/3 cup almonds, skin on
- 1 cup finely grated pecorino cheese
Combine lemon juice, vinegar, Dijon mustard, anchovies, shallot, garlic, olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper in a small bowl. Stir to blend; set aside to let flavors meld. Place kale and Brussels sprouts in a large bowl. Toss with some of the dressing and let stand at room temperature.
In a large skillet on high heat, sear the turkey pieces until golden brown and crispy. Remove pan from heat, keeping turkey in pan to stay hot.
In a small skillet over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon unsalted butter. Add almonds to skillet and stir frequently until golden brown in spots, about 2 minutes. Transfer nuts to a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle almonds lightly with salt.
Taste salad and add more dressing if needed. Toss in salted almonds and distribute onto serving plates. Top with hot, crispy turkey pieces and serve immediately.