David Beckham accepted libel damages Wednesday from a tabloid newspaper that falsely accused him of making hate calls to a former nanny.
Beckham’s lawyer, Gerrard Tyrrell, said the publisher of The People newspaper had agreed to pay substantial damages and court costs and to refrain from repeating the allegations. The amount of damages wasn’t disclosed.
The England and Real Madrid soccer star had sued the newspaper over a story published last month with the headline: “Becks phone fury. England ace plagues ex-nanny with hate calls.”
Tyrrell said the claims were “completely untrue.”
Rachel Glavin, lawyer for publisher MGN, said the company acknowledged that the allegations were untrue.
“The defendants apologize to Mr. Beckham for the distress and injury caused to him,” she said.
Beckham wasn’t at London’s High Court for the hearing.
Beckham, 30, and his wife, Victoria, also are suing former nanny Abbie Gibson for telling a tabloid newspaper that their marriage was on the rocks.
Gibson was paid $225,000 for the story, which was published in the News of the World newspaper in April.