Almost half of the more than two million weddings a year involve brides or grooms who’ve been married before. So what kind of a bridal gown do you wear if you’re walking down the aisle — again? Lois Joy Johnson of More magazine has a few options for older “encore” brides to consider.
Whether they’re getting married for the first, second or third time, grown-up brides 40 and over are ditching the fluffy white gown and veil for more chic options. They want glamour, style and sophistication. They don’t want girly frills, pastels or bows. Here are five new options to consider before you say, “I do.”
Ricki Freeman for Teri Jon; dress ($450) and matching jacket ($430)Go for a dress and matching jacket — it’s a fresh twist on the suit. The cropped jacket with bracelet sleeves and the raised waist on the dress make it totally contemporary, but the rich brocade and glitzy buttons really say luxurious.
Slim and elegant look
Badgley Mischka Platinum ($695) Who really has time to diet, workout, go to work and plan a wedding? An a-line dress in firm brocade holds its shape and holds in yours. If you’re all curves, a deep v-neck, contoured waist and inverted pleat do everything a personal trainer would, but in seconds.
Beautiful, but affordable look
Isaac Mizrahi for Target ($50) If you’re leaving for a quickie wedding in Vegas, you can’t beat this lightweight silk taffeta dress that looks like it stepped off a couture runway. The high-neck top, defined waist,and full skirt looks great on everyone. We love the spacious inseam pockets and it’s a great dance dress.
Sexy and glamour lookReem Acra ($2,390)Go ahead and splurge on gold with a low empire neckline. You’ll wear this dress again with black lacey tights and heels for New Year’s Eve parties. And you won’t have to hold your stomach in for photos.
Romantic lookLuisa Beccaria ($2,000) Go ladylike in this lace dress, which has a modern shape and is as curve conscious as a swimsuit. This dove-color dress is great for summery garden affairs or just impressing the step kids and new relatives.
Fashion tips for 40-plus brides:
- Skip flat white. For a low-watt sparkle, metallic brocades and shimmery trims to give mature skin a glow.
- Choose fashionable empire necklines, crisp a-lines or full-skirted styles that flatter all body types.
- Show off toned arms (fastest body spot to firm) in sleeveless dresses and still great legs in knee-grazing hemlines.
- Save time by shopping for shoes on line at zappos.com. The strappy sandals and slingbacks we feature with these looks can be shipped overnight.
- Jewelry works like makeup to add warmth or energy to your looks. All the pieces we show with our bridal options are by Lee Angel. Pearls add a creamy smooth look to sun-damaged skin, while sparkly stones liven up dull, stressed complexions.