The funeral controversy that led to Alec Baldwin's supposed final Twitter rant is also the place where the actor decided he didn't need to be on the social media platform in the first place.
Baldwin went off last week after his wife, Hilaria, was accused by a British newspaper of tweeting during actor James Gandolfini's New York funeral. Baldwin later deleted his angry tweets directed at reporter George Stark. And now Vanity Fair has asked -- in a Q&A published Tuesday -- if we can expect him back on Twitter ever again.
"Never. No," Baldwin told the magazine. "I went to Jimmy Gandolfini’s funeral, and when I was there I realized Jimmy Gandolfini didn’t have Twitter. Jimmy Gandolfini was so beloved as a person, and he was so admired as an actor, and he didn’t give a f--- about social media.
"I really learned a lesson at the funeral. I said to myself, 'This is all a waste of time.' Meaning it’s fun sometimes, but less and less, and less. It’s just another chink in your armor for people to come and kill you. I stopped and said to myself, 'I’m going to try where I just don’t do this anymore.' "
Baldwin went on to express his hopes for how he is eventually perceived by the child he is expecting with his wife of one year.
"I’m having a baby. And everyone has seen how certain things have played out with my daughter, which has been very painful -- it’s been really unpleasant. That has consequences, and I do not want that to happen with my next child," the 55-year-old actor said. "I have one dream in my life and that is that this daughter I’m having -- she comes to me about seven or eight years from now, she has a friend, and she’s at her house and she says, “Daddy, Susie’s mom says you used to be on TV. Daddy, is that true?” She has no knowledge of me as a public person. That would be heaven for me."
But does that mean the former "30 Rock" star wants to quit acting?
"I’d love to if I could, yeah," Baldwin told VF. "That would be the greatest thing in the world. ... If I could find something else to do."