7 lines that make us question our friendship with 'Girls'
The third season of "Girls" is drawing to a close, and many viewers have been questioning their allegiances to the "it" girls of Brooklyn. As their lives take them in different directions, Hannah, Marnie, Shoshanna and Jessa have become increasingly unkind to each other and more and more self-involved.
Earlier in the season, Jessa (Jemima Kirke) asked, "Can you believe my friend told me she died so that she didn't have to hang out with me?" Unfortunately, we could. Although we wouldn't go that far, here are seven other quotes from the third season that have us on the fence about whether we will permanently unfriend these young ladies.
1. "Am I seriously the only one of us who prides herself on being a truly authentic person?" —Hannah (Lena Dunham)
2. "Fancy people want to work with me, so I’m gonna give them that pleasure and I’m gonna go work with them. So (expletive) you both, have a nice day, enjoy the rest of the video." —Marnie (Allison Williams)
3. "It's really amazing that all three of you have accomplished so little in the four year since college." —Shoshanna (Zosia Mamet)
4. "I'm not even attracted to you. I was wearing rehab goggles." —Jessa, after having sex with someone.
5. "I wouldn't be eating pizza in front of you if I liked you." —Marnie, after having sex with Ray (Alex Karpovsky).
6. "I mean, like, Adam's about to be on Broadway, Marnie's clearly about to be a pop star, and I don't know, you were supposed to be the famous artist in this group and now you're just working in advertising." —Shoshanna
7. "Do you think I think this is the best use of my literary voice and my myriad of talents?" —Hannah at her new job.
But nothing captured the sense of friends growing apart and not supporting each other better than this exchange between Adam (Adam Driver) and Hannah when she invited her girlfriends over to dinner at their apartment.
"I don’t hate your friends, I’m just not interested in anything that they have to say," Adam admitted, trying to coax Hannah into going out with them instead.
"I’m not interested in anything they have to say, that’s not the point of friendship!" she responded.
That might also serve as executive producer Dunham's argument to viewers to keep on watching.
The third season finale of "Girls" airs Sunday at 10 p.m. on HBO. It has been renewed for a fourth season.