Giada's curly pasta, pepperoncini shrimp, more
Giada cooks up a light pasta with summer veggiesPlay Video
Make Mom a unique rainbow pancake cake for Mother's Day!
Triple chocolate cheesecake: Make it for Mother's Day!
Cooking for Mom? Try this appetizer and dessert for under 500 calories
Can you hack it? Smart and simple DIY shortcuts to try at home
As we head into the summer, give the Bolognese sauce a break and think a little lighter! Here, Food Network star Giada De Laurentiis makes a healthy Italian feast with curly pasta and veggie salad, grilled pepperoncini shrimp and pollo frito.
For pasta and vegetables:
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2- inch pieces
- 1 large orange bell pepper, cored, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 ounces sugar snap peas, strings removed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound cavatappi or macaroni pasta
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup safflower oil
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 lemons, zested
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the vegetables: Place an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick vegetable oil spray. Combine all the vegetables in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with rosemary, salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Spread out vegetables in a single layer on the prepared sheet. Roast for 25 minutes, until tender.Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and place in a large serving bowl.For the dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream, safflower oil, buttermilk, lemon juice, lemon zest, chives, mint, parsley, salt and pepper until smooth.Add the roasted vegetables and dressing to the cooked pasta. Toss until all ingredients are coated and serve.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pepperoncini
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 24 large shrimp (about 1 pound), peeled, deveined
Heat the oil in a heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add the pepperoncini and garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.Toss the shrimp in a medium bowl with 2 teaspoons of the pepperoncini oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for high heat or preheat the grill pan over a high flame. Grill the shrimp until just cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Toss the shrimp with the remaining pepperoncini oil to coat.
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (2 to 3 lemons, depending on size)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) whole frying chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups olive oil (approximate amount)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (approximate amount)
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- 6 sprigs fresh Italian parsley, for garnish
In a large casserole dish, whisk the lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, and salt to blend. Add the chicken pieces and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 1 day, turning the chicken pieces occasionally.In a large cast iron frying pan or other heavy frying pan, add enough oil to come 1/3-inch up the sides of the pan. Heat the oil over medium heat. Meanwhile, drain the marinade from the chicken. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with pepper. Working in 2 batches, dredge the chicken in the flour to coat completely. Shake off the excess flour and then carefully add the chicken to the hot oil. Fry until the chicken is golden brown and just cooked through, turning occasionally, about 25 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the chicken to a paper towel-lined plate to drain the excess oil.Arrange the fried chicken on a warm platter and serve with the lemon wedges and parsley.