- 3 bunches watercress
- 2 each red onions, sliced paper thin
- 2 ounces Muscat or white balsamic vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- 4 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cups seedless or seeded red and yellow watermelon
Trim the stems of the watercress. Rinse watercress and dry thoroughly. Keep chilled until ready to assemble the salad.
Place sliced onions in ice water, soak for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour; overnight is even better.
Combine vinegar, salt and pepper, whisk in olive oil.
To assemble salad, add watermelon, watercress and red onion to a large bowl, dress with vinaigrette, taste for salt and pepper, plate on plates or large platter.
The colder all ingredients are, the better. Watermelon is always the best ice cold.