- 4 to 6 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- One 4-pound lamb shoulder, boned and cut into
- 1-inch chunks
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 4 small carrots, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 large turnips, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes or 16 baby turnips, peeled and trimmed
- 1 large celery root, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 6 wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp finely chopped rosemary leaves
- One 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 5 to 6 cups water or unsalted chicken stock
- 4 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 tsp finely grated orange zest
Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 300F.
Warm 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over high heat. Season the lamb with salt and pepper. Sear the meat on all sides until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pot and reduce the heat to medium-high. Add the onion, carrots, turnips, celery root, fennel, garlic, rosemary and cinnamon stick. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the vegetables soften, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the lamb and cook, stirring, for 6 to 8 minutes, adding more olive oil if needed.
Sprinkle the flour on top and continue to cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and parsley. Add the orange juice and wine and cook until the liquid is reduced by half. Add enough water to almost cover the lamb and vegetables; bring to a boil. Add the tomatoes and orange zest; cover the pot. Bake until the lamb is fork-tender, 60 to 75 minutes. Serve immediately.
The very affordable Dr. Cosimo Taurino’s Notarpanaro, a peppery Italian wine, is a great match. Another option comes from California: Infused with the penetrating aromas of spices and cassis, Ravenswood Zinfandel, Vintner’s Blend, is also characterized by its smoked-meat and dried-fruit flavors.