Get the latest from TODAY
New numbers from the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission show that in 2016, 11,000 people were sent to the hospital and four people died because of fireworks gone wrong.
Two years ago, Elliot F. Kaye, chairman of the CPSC, joined Jeff Rossen live on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., to show TODAY viewers how dangerous some fireworks can be.
The CPSC suggests that as you light a consumer firework, follow these safety tips:
- Have a bucket of water or a garden hose on hand.
- Never relight or pick up a firework that didn’t go off.
- Light fireworks one at a time, on a flat, dry surface.
- Never have your body over the device as you are lighting the fuse.
- Never allow children to play with or ignite fireworks.
- Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying or using them.