- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme plus additional/or optional garnish
- 2 large pears, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 5 cups turkey, chicken, duck, or vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Large pinch cinnamon
- Large pinch ground cloves
- Coarse salt and freshly ground white or black pepper
DIRECTIONS In a large pot set over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the onion, garlic, and thyme and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft but not colored, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the pears, sweet potatoes, and stock and simmer, uncovered, until tender, about 25 minutes. Allow to cool.
Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender or food processor and return it to the pot. Stir in the stock, milk, cream, cumin, cinnamon, and cloves, and reheat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve garnished with chopped thyme, if you like.