LUXOR, Egypt — The funeral of a 28 year-old waiter in southern Egypt turned into a celebration when he woke up after being declared dead.
- Keeping Up with the Kardashians Recap: Kris Jenner Plans a Surprise Graduation Party for Kendall and Kylie
- Kobe Bryant Announces This Season Will Be His Last
- John Legend Throws Chrissy Teigen a Birthday Bash at a Comedy Club - and Dave Chappelle Was There!
- Caitlyn Jenner Gets Bangs! - See Her New Look
- Mother of Two and Iraq War Veteran Identified as Civilian Victims in Colorado Planned Parenthood Shooting
Hospital officials had pronounced dead Hamdi Hafez al-Nubi, who came from the village of Naga al-Simman in the southern province of Luxor, after he suffered a heart attack while working.
His family says grieving relatives took him home and, according to Islamic tradition, washed his body and prepared him for burial Friday evening.
A doctor sent to sign the death certificate found it strange that his body was warm. At closer observation she discovered he was still alive.
His mother fainted upon hearing the good news.
With the doctor's assistance, both al-Nubi and his mother were awakened and soon were celebrating with guests.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.