LOS ANGELES — Universal Studios says it will spend several hundred million dollars to build a Harry Potter attraction inside its existing Hollywood theme park, mimicking the success of a similar park in Orlando, Florida
More from TODAY.com
TODAY's Takeaway: Time picks the pope, Mariah brings us home for the holidays
1. Time magazine’s managing editor Nancy Gibbs announced on TODAY the magazine’s pick for 2013 Person of the Year: Pope Fr...
- White House shares pics from Obama's trip for Mandela memorial
- Oprah Winfrey doesn't regret not having kids
- Prince William, Duchess Kate rock 3-D glasses
- Viral mash-up: Internet stars collide in YouTube Rewind 2013
- TODAY's Takeaway: Time picks the pope, Mariah brings us home for the holidays
The attraction will create more than 1,000 jobs at Universal and even more from an expected boost in tourism.Universal Orlando pulling plug on long-running Jaws ride
At the same time, Orlando's Wizarding World of Harry Potter will get an expansion.
Since the Harry Potter attraction opened in Florida in June of last year, attendance has jumped by around 50 percent.Story: Harry Potter attraction may be coming to Calif. theme park
Universal executives did not immediately detail their plans for the Hollywood park.
(Msnbc.com is a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC Universal.)
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.