LOS ANGELES — Universal Studios says it will spend several hundred million dollars to build a Harry Potter attraction inside its existing Hollywood theme park, mimicking the success of a similar park in Orlando, Florida
More from TODAY.com
Soldier killed in Canada shootings
Authorities said security forces shot and killed one gunman after a soldier was killed while guarding the National War Mem...
- Exclusive: Ebola survivor Ashoka Mukpo speaks to NBC News
- Here's a treat: See why these costume-changing skeletons win Halloween
- The real Great Pumpkin: Preschoolers' gourd weighs in at 500 pounds
- New Tolkien-themed in-flight video is one worth watching
- Soldier killed in Canada shootings
The attraction will create more than 1,000 jobs at Universal and even more from an expected boost in tourism.Universal Orlando pulling plug on long-running Jaws ride
At the same time, Orlando's Wizarding World of Harry Potter will get an expansion.
Since the Harry Potter attraction opened in Florida in June of last year, attendance has jumped by around 50 percent.Story: Harry Potter attraction may be coming to Calif. theme park
Universal executives did not immediately detail their plans for the Hollywood park.
(Msnbc.com is a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC Universal.)
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.