LOS ANGELES — Universal Studios says it will spend several hundred million dollars to build a Harry Potter attraction inside its existing Hollywood theme park, mimicking the success of a similar park in Orlando, Florida
More from TODAY.com
'Race of a lifetime': Natalie Morales gets ready to run Boston Marathon
Natalie Morales is preparing to run the Boston Marathon for some very special causes. "For many of the runners here, emoti...
- Partner of missing jet passenger: Go back to square 1
- Don't miss a moment, even in the car! TODAY launching channel on SiriusXM
- Kevin Sharp, 'Nobody Knows' country singer, dies at 43
- Prince George meets George the marsupial on zoo trip
- 'Race of a lifetime': Natalie Morales gets ready to run Boston Marathon
The attraction will create more than 1,000 jobs at Universal and even more from an expected boost in tourism.Universal Orlando pulling plug on long-running Jaws ride
At the same time, Orlando's Wizarding World of Harry Potter will get an expansion.
Since the Harry Potter attraction opened in Florida in June of last year, attendance has jumped by around 50 percent.Story: Harry Potter attraction may be coming to Calif. theme park
Universal executives did not immediately detail their plans for the Hollywood park.
(Msnbc.com is a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC Universal.)
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.