LOS ANGELES — Universal Studios says it will spend several hundred million dollars to build a Harry Potter attraction inside its existing Hollywood theme park, mimicking the success of a similar park in Orlando, Florida
More from TODAY.com
Go, Turbo, go! Tiny disabled dog gets special wheels crafted from toy parts
A tiny Chihuahua born with a genetic defect is now back in action, thanks to some ingenuity — and a little faith — from an...
- Viral 'Jews and Arabs Refuse to Be Enemies' campaign inspires hope among violence
- Up, up and eBay! Classic Superman comic should fetch millions
- Don't wash recalled fruit, discard it, company advises
- Why people in Louisiana are so happy (and how you can be too)
- Go, Turbo, go! Tiny disabled dog gets special wheels crafted from toy parts
The attraction will create more than 1,000 jobs at Universal and even more from an expected boost in tourism.Universal Orlando pulling plug on long-running Jaws ride
At the same time, Orlando's Wizarding World of Harry Potter will get an expansion.
Since the Harry Potter attraction opened in Florida in June of last year, attendance has jumped by around 50 percent.Story: Harry Potter attraction may be coming to Calif. theme park
Universal executives did not immediately detail their plans for the Hollywood park.
(Msnbc.com is a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC Universal.)
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.