On our final segment of “Today’s Holiday Toys” series, we take a look at toys and games that parents and children can play together. Stephanie Oppenheim, a “Today” contributor and co-author of the Oppenheim Toy Portfolio, was invited on the show to tell us about the season’s top picks for games that help foster meaningful connections between parents and their kids. Check out Oppenheim’s suggestions:
One of the best parts of being a parent, is playing with your kids! Without taking over, adults can help kids get started and be there as “consultants,” giving kids strategies for working in an orderly fashion. Making time to do such things together gives you a chance to play and experiment together — a chance to solve problems, think creatively, and even have fun learning together.
Here are some of our favorites for each age group:
Infants and toddlers
Cuddle Pups Puppets
Toss the Taggies
Lamaze Clap with Me Monkey
Pre-school and early school
Floor Standing Puppet Theater
Center Stage Puppets
Mary Meyer Corp.
Early school, tweens, and teens
Tea Party Game
More from TODAY.com
For 6-year-old Alex, 3-D printing means a new arm
For children, prosthetic limbs don’t come cheap. Like shoes, they are easily outgrown, which is why 6-year-old Alex Pring ...
- Wait, Sandra Bullock is ... 50?! This birthday superstar is a kid at heart
- 'Topless Tour' movement inspires travelers to undress and strike a pose
- Watch this excited dog faint after being reunited with her owner (Don't worry, she's okay!)
- 6-year-old battling brain tumor gets thousands of birthday cards from strangers
- For 6-year-old Alex, 3-D printing means a new arm
Blue Orange Games
You've Been Sentenced!
The Very Books Block Puzzle
Fashion Angels Enterprises
All reviews and shopping information is available at www.toyportfolio.com
© 2013 MSNBC Interactive. Reprints